Tiles from December, 2016 – Group 7

Nature. Just nature.

Orange and Orange

Two postcards from January, 2017.

Twigs – I printed out a photo of some twigs I had taken – I don’t know when…anyway. And then I colored over it with Caran D’Ache Neocolor II crayons, the water-soluble ones. I attached it to a recycled cardboard background and turned it into a postcard.

Planet – I painted a cardboard background, collaged, it, painted it, and it turned into a depiction of a moon or a planet, hanging very low over the surface of another one – I am hoping it does not fall out of the sky.

The Future Holds a Secret…

…and the secret is, what will these bowls and plates look like when I am finished with them?

I haven’t made any functional clay work in a long time. I’ve focused on tiles and sculptures. But — I got an itch to make some bowls and so…I did. Here they are as they come out of the kiln.

These items are all hand-built. I have several commercially-made bowls and plates that I use as forms.

I roll out a slab of clay (in this case, I am using low-fire terracotta and white clays).

I prepare the form by cutting strips of newspaper and lining the bowl or plate with them, then wetting the strips. This step is necessary to prevent the item I’m making from cracking as it dries – the clay will shrink  and so the paper allows it to move, rather than being stuck to the form, pulling away, and breaking. Once the item is dry, I remove as much paper as I can, but it’s ok if I don’t get it all – the paper burns off in the kiln.

Once everything has dried, I load the kiln and do an initial (bisque) firing.

These items were fired a couple of days ago. Now I will decorate them, and I think it will be a long process, since I intend to put a lot of detail into them. I don’t want to hurry – I want to take my time and enjoy the process. So it may be a while before they reappear, all dolled up!

Tiles from December, 2016 – Group 6

I move to another category of tiles.

These next few groups are made from terra-cotta. They are tiles I rolled out myself, so they are irregular in size and shape, though all about 6″ x 6″. Each tile was fired, glazed, and then fired again. I’ve included a blank tile to show you what I started with.


I did these prints with the Gelli Plate back in summer 2016, during my Art Camp, and I think I photographed them lying on my table. But, here they are, cleaned up and turned into  postcard sizes.


Now I am all ready to be doing a whole new set of printing, aren’t I?


Getting the Hurt Leg Fixed, Chapter Six

It’s been a few weeks since a chapter in the story of my husband’s recovery from his leg injury has been posted – the process has been going along uneventfully. While that is good news in real life, in the storytelling side of things, well, it’s a snore, so I’ve stayed quiet.

Today we made another visit to the surgeon’s office. The results: my husband can now “walk”, with the brace set at 70 degrees of motion. For another week or so, he needs the crutches to steady him as he relearns this skill. After that, he will follow a schedule of more flexion in the brace and can get rid of the crutches. We visit again in April, and maybe then the brace will be removed.

This is good news – function in the leg is coming along well and a full recovery (as far as walking normally) is expected.

This chapter concerns an activity that’s become popular in our house, since it’s something a person with limited mobility can do, and that’s putting together jigsaw puzzles. He has worked a couple so far (one a personalized photo puzzle of a snapshot of some friends, given to me as a birthday gift, for laughs, but I was touched, too); the other one was the Andy Warhol image of Marilyn Monroe, loaned to us by our daughter-in-law, who is very fond of puzzles and good at doing them.

Here’s the table in the living room where the puzzles wait for solution:


So, to keep things going, I had two puzzles made from my own artworks and I just gave them to my husband. One is a composite of four 8″ x 10″ acrylic paintings I did in January, the other a single image. They each have 256 pieces.

The four-image puzzle features paintings from what became a series – I had some canvas boards in the cabinet and I filled them all up. It was therapy for me in the early frantic days of getting this healing situation under control. I’ll show the rest of them later on, but here are the four:

And here is the single image – I think you may remember it from a little while back:

"My Life" - acrylics, 40" x 30", November, 2016.

“My Life” – acrylics, 40″ x 30″, November, 2016.

So I say, here’s to puzzle-solving and leg-healing!

Hurt Leg Chapters from the past:

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

People With Attitudes

Enough said.

And then I say more…

The first two people are from June, 2016; the last one from September, 2016. I am not sure why the earlier people are so intense about things, but the last guy – he’s fastened on to his card by a staple, and maybe that’s the source of the trouble.