I did these tiles a while back, in the fall, I think. I realize I just took a bisque load out of the kiln and so those images will be crowding these if I don’t let them have their day. So – here are some tiles done in a new way for me. I rolled out the clay, let it dry somewhat, then cut the tiles, and let it dry some more. Not until it was brittle, but also not so that it was flexible anymore.
Then I took one of my little loop tools and cut lines in the tiles. Took very little time to do this, but – it’s necessary to think out what’s to be done before the line is cut, or you will be figuring out something new to be depicting.
Once they dried, I fired them (these are done in terra-cotta clay, cone 05 bisque and final firing both). Then I painted over each tile, totally, with Velvet underglaze in black. I washed off the glaze (as I do for my relief tile work) and left it in the grooves.
Then – I settled down to some painting, using Velvet underglazes. Working carefully, I filled in spaces. It’s a thing to do when you are feeling patient and calm – it’s not to be hurried.
Then I fired them again and voila! here are some tiles.
I like working this way. It requires me to pare down the images I want to portray. There can be no fussiness or extra flourishes. The shapes end up interacting in ways I had not expected. Once again, thinking ahead helps, but as you know with clay, anything can happen. That’s the thing that keeps me coming back…