I got one of those Gelli Plates and tried it out in March, when I made these postcards.
I liked the plate fine. But I feel I’ve done a lot of the same thing with other methods, including painting on a piece of paper and pressing it to another one. I’ve wondered if I was missing something about the product.
I am reminded of the time some years back I made monoprints using a silkscreen. In that case, I painted on the screen, printed until I could get no more color, washed the screen, and painted another design, printed it on fresh paper or on top of the previous group. I also used a lot of masking. What I got was a group of prints that were related but none the same.
I did the same thing here. Paint on, using acrylics, print. Wash. Paint on something new. Print on fresh cards or over some or all of the old ones. I think this process suits me and I like the results.
Anyway, I like the firm squishiness of the plate and I’ll use it again. I gave away my silkscreen some time ago – using it was difficult. This method is very simple.
So we have some postcards here. They are 6″ x 4.25″ and I gessoed over the shiny side for a change of surface.