Back on Day 5 of the recent Art Camp Claudia McGill, the camper worked on clay items. You may remember the day, but if not, take a moment to review the day’s activities…
All right. Now the items have been fired. All were done at cone 06, since I was using low-fire clay, and I mixed greenware (dried but unfired clay) with bisque (clay that has undergone a first firing). I could do this because they fire at the same temperature in both phases; that’s not the case with stoneware clay, where the second firing is done at a higher temperature, due to the requirements of the clay.
So. Here’s an update.
The cat tiles. Remember, I used Velvet underglazes to do portraits of cats on previously-fired terracotta clay tiles. Here are the results.
I made word tiles, pressing rubber letter stamps into the clay. It looked gray in its wet state, but I told you it would come out very white, and look…I was right…
I also made some figures. Here they are.
I will decorate the word tiles and the figurines with underglaze, and I may also put a coat of shiny glaze on the words, at least. I’m still deciding. Anyway, the cat tiles are finished now; the other items will get some color to them and then undergo another firing.