This creature emerged from the Art Camp Claudia McGill and is now finished. Take a look. Here it is, in the wet clay stage:
The figurine on the kiln shelf after bisque firing:
When it came time to glaze the creature, first I painted its face area solid black with Velvet underglaze, and then washed it off, leaving it in the depressed areas. I then gave it a variety of colored patterns all over its body. I overdid it, and the patterns got too fussy. Annoyed, I went to the sink with the idea of washing it off and starting over (after all that painting, you bet I was annoyed, but it just didn’t look right to me). I washed part of it off and liked the result, so I stopped right there.
Then I wrenched its arm off and felt even better about things. I thought the arm was just too diminutive for the body – the colors seemed to accent that for me, where it had looked all right up to now, in the unpainted stages. I left the white clay showing where the arm had been – now that looked fine to me!
So – here’s the result.