Tag Archives: monoprint

Swirly Abstract Prints

These artist trading cards were made in March, 2018. To create them, I painted backgrounds, in acrylic paints, on recycled cardboard cut to ATC size. Then I painted a thick-ish layer of paint on another surface, scribbled in it with a knitting needle, and then printed it on to the ATC. Voila! Swirls.

Mixture in Blues and Whites and Grays

This postcard, from October, 2016, is a visual definition of the word “recycle”. The background is recycled cardboard from a food container. The papers are from magazines, photos, and a piece of a print I made sometime back in the past. Stick it all together and you have – something meant to be, maybe? It’s nice to think of all these parts waiting for the right moment to speak up and say – My turn.

postcard-3-10-16-small

Art Camp Day 1 – August 1


Well, it’s getting to be the end of summer. Everyone else has already gone to camp, or just finishing up, so I decided to see if I couldn’t get in a session myself. Being a do-it-yourself kind of person I decided to attend a very convenient one, located in my head.

You may say, oh dear, I’m lost now, I just don’t see the roadsigns for this location.

OK, I’ll stop the facetiousness and just say – I don’t have any pressing art project for shows or exhibits now, and I was just thinking about what to do, when the idea came into my head –

You have a lot of art supplies waiting for a tryout or another session. Things you don’t generally use but you thought that someday you might…

Think: gelli plate. Some kinds of clay projects. Scratch art. Wood-burning set. Stone-carving set. Mail art projects. Those little claybord rectangles (a whole bag of them).

These ideas were just the ones that came to me immediately. Maybe I’ll think of more. Anyway, the idea of just drifting along, doing artwork with these half-formed, half-forgotten ideas – sounded great for this time of year.

OK. So I’ll write about them as I get time. Here’s the first thing I did – Gelli plate printing.


I bought the Gelli plate a few months ago but this is only the second time I’ve  used it. My aim was just to print – no idea what I’d do with the work when finished.

As for materials, I used acrylic paints and a variety of papers. I think these will find a place in collage work later on, or I might add India ink to them. For now, I’m letting them dry and enjoying thinking about the possibilities. I did like using the plate and it reminded me of the versatility of monoprinting.

Here are some photos of my progress. I took them at different stages of the work.

Blank pages 8-1-16 small

Blank pages on my work table.

First set of photos.

 

v

 

Second group.

 

Third set.

 

 

Fourth group.

 

 

 

Fifth set of photos. These are the papers I had when I finished the day. I think power of layers is the theme here.

Impressions Made Clearer

I realized I have some more recent-ish monoprints, these ones being artist trading cards – obviously they were made from smaller pieces of the larger sheets from which I cut the postcards you have been seeing.

But for these, I did a little extra to them – drawing with my pens, filling in spaces, and so on. I think it’s like trying to make pictures out of the passing clouds, maybe. Although these cards were made while I was watching TV at night, I think.

Well, doesn’t matter. Take a look.

Pressed, Not Ironed, #5

And the last group for right now.

Pressed, Not Ironed, #4

More printed postcards. These are a bit warmer. As cousins to the cooler-toned cards, well, they add a little zip to the gathering, maybe.

Pressed, Not Ironed, #3

More printed postcards, another branch of the family.

Pressed, Not Ironed – #2

Some more postcards made in the same manner as the previous group. But also a little different.

I went through the same layering process as far as printing, but I used bigger sheets of paper, Bristol board, 11″ x 14″. I had some lying around and thought I’d use it.

When I finished the whole paper, I randomly cut it into postcard sizes. I can’t remember now how many from a piece I got, because there were smaller pieces I did something else with – I think in fact I made some ATC’s that you will see some other time.

For the next week or so the postcards will have been done in this manner. You will see the family resemblances that has emerged through my process.

Postcards, 6″ x 4.25″, on recycled cardboard, using acrylic paints.

Pressed, Not Ironed, Pressed

I got one of those Gelli Plates and tried it out in March, when I made these postcards.

I liked the plate fine. But I feel I’ve done a lot of the same thing with other methods, including painting on a piece of paper and pressing it to another one. I’ve wondered if I was missing something about the product.

I am reminded of the time some years back I made monoprints using a silkscreen. In that case, I painted on the screen, printed until I could get no more color, washed the screen, and painted another design, printed it on fresh paper or on top of the previous group. I also used a lot of masking. What I got was a group of prints that were related but none the same.

I did the same thing here. Paint on, using acrylics, print. Wash. Paint on something new. Print on fresh cards or over some or all of the old ones. I think this process suits me and I like the results.

Anyway, I like the firm squishiness of the plate and I’ll use it again. I gave away my silkscreen some time ago – using it was difficult. This method is very simple.

So we have some postcards here. They are 6″ x 4.25″ and I gessoed over the shiny side for a change of surface.